Tuesday, September 10, 2013

A Hole in My Heart For My Brother John ... One Year Later


July 25 – Pelican to Waterfall Cove, inside of Khatz Penninsula

A sad day.

July 25 was a really tough day for me ... and the weather matched my mood.



Gray... foggy... rainy.



One year ago today my younger brother John died. Metastic melanoma ... he was gone in two weeks ... and it should have been detected so much sooner. His death shouldn't have happened.  

Not one day has gone by in the last year that I haven’t thought of him. And how the medical system failed such a smart, caring, successful business owner ... a devoted husband and nurturing father ... who should have lived to see his three children grow up and have families of their own.




Making matters worse, we were out of cell range. I needed to talk to my mom. I needed to talk to Anne, my nieces and nephew, and my brother Jim. All of my family members who I knew were hurting as much as me on this anniversary of John’s death.


I climbed up into the pilothouse with tears in my eyes ... and told Roland I missed my family.

He knew where the tears were coming from.

My husband, my most adorable and loving new spouse ... put his arms around me, hugged me and said ... Lovie and I are your family.

Roland's words didn't take away the pain ... or the tears ... but he gave me comfort. 

I thanked God for Roland ... our love ... and prayed for his continued health.

And I told my brother John ... that I love him and miss him.


No comments:

Post a Comment