Wednesday, September 4, 2013

A Glacially Generous Gesture From a Chance Encounter at Margerie Glacier (with special thanks to Tifany!!!!)


July 20 – Russell Island to Margerie Glacier


Thanks to smart thinking on the part of our Captain, we pulled anchor early to visit Margerie Glacier so we could beat the cruise ships. But thank goodness we didn’t beat them by too much!

Margerie wasn’t calving nearly as much as when we there with Rick & Judy earlier in the month. With less activity, Roland pulled the boat a bit closer to the face of the glacier.




Soon ...  we watched a Norwegian Cruise Ship coming in behind us from the distance. 

We were hoping we wouldn’t be blocking their view ... little did we know ... we are such a SMALL boat!

Fast forward a week or so later ... and this is the email and photos I received on July 29 ...




Hi there. this is probably very random... and clearly you have a million beautiful photos - as I can see on your website and blog... but we were on the NCL cruise ship the same day that you were in Glacier Bay (July 20) and I believe this is you ;)

I have more photos if you want them! (or if you want larger files, let me know)

what a beautiful place~

tifany

Tifany’s photos are extraordinary, and she has no idea how much we appreciate her taking the time to track us down and send copies. It was a very generous and thoughtful gesture.



In thanking her, we had another email exchange ...

Hello Laura. You are so welcome... as I was looking through our pictures, I decided to google the name of your boat to see if I could find out the size of the boat and that way have some reference to share with others! Then when I found your blog, I thought maybe you would welcome some pics of your boat ;) We enjoyed having you there while we were there - so that we could see some scale. WOW, magnificent creation. We felt the same as what you mentioned... so small in this amazing world. beautiful! this was our first time in AK and we LOVED it. I've enjoyed looking through your blog! how very fun to travel like you are... we did enjoy our cruise very much but your version looks much more amazing!!! 

Hope you enjoy these pictures. We may end up with more we can send because these are just from my camera - and my husband was shooting on his camera too. Will send if we come across more ;)

thanks
tifany

Bravo Tifany! We will eternally be grateful ... and you always will be remembered on Engelenbak .. as we plan to frame one of your photos for the interior of our boat.


Again, many thanks.

Laura & Roland

2 comments: